Monday, December 24, 2012

Pimiento Cheese



As comfort foods go, pimiento cheese is at the top of my list.  There was almost always pimiento cheese in the refrigerator when I was growing up.  I took pimiento cheese sandwiches to school in my lunch box; we ate pimiento cheese sandwiches for picnic lunches when traveling; sandwiches for supper were not uncommon; and, when my mother was in her nineties, her Christmas lunch of choice was a pimiento cheese sandwich.  I would ask my mother what she wanted to eat for Christmas.  Her answer always was, “Let’s don’t cook and have a bunch of old leftovers; let’s have pimiento cheese sandwiches.”  Being totally her daughter, she didn’t have to twist my arm.  Pimiento cheese sandwiches it was!  Now that my mother has passed away, I still want pimiento cheese sandwiches for Christmas.  In reality, that tradition is a lot more entrenched in my mind than turkey and dressing of days past. 

 
My mother’s pimiento cheese consisted of Velveeta cheese, Miracle Whip salad dressing, and pimientos.  At some point, the Velveeta formula must have changed; using only Velveeta resulted in a gooey mess.  We started adding cheddar cheese to the mix somewhere along the line.  Now, I use Velveeta made with 2% milk; Miracle Whip Light; and either cheddar, Colby-Jack, or pepper jack cheese.  Today I measured the Miracle Whip for the first time in recorded history.

Pimiento Cheese
1 lb. Velveeta cheese

8 ounces cheddar, Colby jack, or pepper jack cheese
2 (4 oz.) jars chopped pimientos, well drained

1-1/2 cups Miracle Whip salad dressing

Grate the cheeses.  Add drained pimientos.  Add salad dressing and mix well.  Store in the refrigerator.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment